Monday, October 15, 2012

Assisi - very different these days

I was so looking forward to seeing Assisi again after the last visit 29 years ago, and before the earthquake that collapsed part of the Capella. I was happy and sad at the same time as the whole town has been made into a tourist mecca but not in a nice way- but that's my opinion anyway- as everything about it now is directly against the beliefs of st Francis - I'm sure he would be turning over in his tomb. Actually the day we were there the president of Italy was going to speak as it was st Francis's anniversary, so there were loads of military, high end clergy and security as well. Sad as when I was there last it was still a place for visitors but it was like a medieval town, a much simpler way of life and not so much tourist paraphernalia lining every inch of the town. I was also saddened to hear that the monastery I stayed in last time ,had been taken from the Franciscan monks by the Benedictine order. So sad it was a wonderful experience with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive